Monday, October 24, 2011

Hula Dancer livens things up for patients


http://www.hawaii.va.gov/visitors/Center_for_aging.asp

I entertain every Monday morning at the Veteran's Administration Center for Aging. The guys asked for Hawaiian music so I complied with contemporary Hawaiian favorites. During my bantering with the patients, I mentioned that I had been looking for a hula dancer to help me for the past ten years. One of the patients happily volunteered his wife Lori who had stepped out of the room.

When she came back in, I told her that her husband  had volunteered her to dance. She was so gracious about it. She asked for Hanalei moon and got right into it. And, like all hula dancers, she guided me by calling out the first few words of the verses that she wanted.

 Here, Lori is calling out the key words to the verse she wants to dance to.

 When you see,
 Hanalei by moonlight
 You will be, in heaven by the sea...
 Here, she's likely scolding me because I sang the wrong words.. Har! At my age,
remembering lyrics is not easy.

The patients had so much fun. I hope Lori comes and participate again. Brings joy into the lives of the elderly.

3 comments:

pcsty said...

I like this post Don.

MALAMA KUPUNA said...

Thanks, Stan.

Anonymous said...

Hi , You record some fabulous blogs. I check back right here often to figure out should you have kept as a large amount as date. I thought you may well want to understand, as soon as I push your RSS feed it takes me to yet one more website .

Before I go, permit me thank you for your understanding with my English as (I'm certain you have become aware this at this time ,), English is not my principal language thus I am using Google Translate to figure out how to record what I actually plan to write .